Meatless Monday: Tagliatelle in decadent porcini mushroom cream sauce
My heart pitter-patters over a pasta dish like this. Porcini mushrooms are an Italian delight, and what better way to serve these 'shrooms than with a wide, flat pasta, like tagliatelle, in a rich cream sauce sprinkled with Parmesan, pepper and parsley.
This Meatless Monday dish is so rich and delicious — it’s one of my favorites. Tagliatelle is similar to fettuccine. In fact, if you can’t find tagliatelle, go ahead and use fettuccine. These wide-style pastas are perfect for the sauce in this dish. And you’ll want to enjoy every bite.
I used dried porcini mushrooms to make this sauce irresistible. They’re rich and hearty, with an amazing flavor. I supplemented them with some fresh cremini mushrooms since they can run a little on the pricey side for a small amount. You’ll find a little goes a long way, so they’re perfect for this creamy, dreamy sauce.
Tagliatelle in cream sauce with porcini mushrooms
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes
- 6 ounces uncooked tagliatelle pasta (or fettuccine)
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1/4 cup diced fresh cremini mushrooms
- 1-1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus extra for topping
- 5 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for topping
- Fresh parsley leaves, for garnish
- To a saucepan, add the dried porcini mushrooms with 1 cup of water. Simmer for about 15 minutes. Reserve the liquid, straining it through with a fine mesh sieve. Set aside the mushrooms and the liquid.
- After the mushrooms have simmered, cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain, and set aside.
- When the pasta has about 5 minutes of cooking time left, begin the sauce by adding the butter to a large skillet over medium heat.
- When the butter is hot, add the shallot, and cook for 3 minutes. Add the procini and the cremini mushrooms to the skillet. Cook for a minute or so, then add the reserved liquid from the mushrooms.
- Add the salt and pepper to the skillet. Cook for a minute or so, then add the heavy cream. Cook, stirring on medium heat. Add the Parmesan cheese, and stir. After a few minutes the mixture should thicken a bit. Add the drained pasta to the skillet, and toss to combine. Cook for a minute or so, until the pasta is heated through.
- Serve garnished with fresh torn parsley leaves, ground black pepper and a bit of grated Parmesan cheese.