This blueberry-packed lemon and ricotta galette comes with an easy homemade pie crust that doesn’t have to have fancy fluted edges.
My favorite thing about making this galette is that I don’t have to stress over getting the crust all nice and pretty. That’s because this pie looks even better when it’s more rustic and imperfect around the edges.
The crust is so flaky and buttery, which of course is the perfect match with the blueberry, lemon and cheese mixture.
Blueberry, lemon and ricotta galette recipe
Prep time: 20 minutes | Inactive time: 2 hours | Cook time: 45 minutes | Total time: 3 hours 5 minutes
For the pastry
- 1-1/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter (1 cube), chilled and cut into cubes
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 2 tablespoons flour (for rolling dough)
For the galette
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg, beaten (for the filling)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1/4 cup lemon curd (for the filling)
- 1 egg, beaten (for the egg wash)
- 1 tablespoon water (for the egg wash)
- 1/3 cup lemon curd (for garnish)
- 1 cup whipping cream or Cool Whip topping
- Zest from 2 lemons (for garnish)
For the pastry
- To a large bowl, add the flour, sugar, salt and butter.
- Cut the butter into small pieces with either a pastry cutter, 2 knives or your fingers.
- Add the lemon juice and ice water. Stir the ingredients.
- Knead the dough a few times, and transfer it to a piece of plastic wrap.
- Add another piece of plastic wrap on top of the dough. On top of the plastic wrap, roll the dough a few times with a rolling pin until it’s a small, thick circle.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap, and store it in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Lay a large piece of parchment paper on the rolling surface. Lay the dough on top of the parchment paper, and roll out the dough into a large circle (about 2 inches larger than the diameter of a pie pan).
- Transfer the parchment paper and the dough onto a large cookie sheet with sides. Set aside for a moment.
For the galette
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- To a small bowl, add the ricotta cheese, egg, lemon juice and sugar. Stir together until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Spread the ricotta cheese mixture in the middle of the pie dough and out to about 2-1/2 inches from the edges of the pie dough.
- Top the ricotta mixture with the blueberries and dollops of the lemon curd.
- Fold in the edges of the pie dough (without any filling on it) toward the middle of the galette to form a “ring” of pastry around the outside edge.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and water to make the egg wash.
- Brush the egg wash around the “ring” of pastry.
- Bake until the crust turns a light golden brown (about 40 – 45 minutes). It’s OK if juice from the blueberries seeps out of the crust onto the parchment paper while it’s baking.
- Serve warm topped with small dollops of lemon curd, whipped cream and lemon zest.
More galette recipes
Gluten-free apple pie galette
Fall vegetable galette
Southwest breakfast galette
Leave a Comment