If you’re planning to serve nachos at your Super Bowl party, think french fries, not chips.
These french fry nachos are so fun to serve in personal-size bowls, especially when the fries are laid out in the shape of a “blossom” (think bloomin’ onion).
That way all the meat, cheese and toppings pile up on top in one big, delish bundle.
Cheesy finger foods are the best, aren’t they?
French fry nachos recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 35 minutes | Total time: 45 minutes
- 1/4 pound ground beef
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 3 dashes salt
- 4 dashes ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 3 large russet potatoes, washed, skins on and cut into thick strips
- 1 – 2 cups canola oil (depending on the size of your skillet)
- Salt (for the potatoes, to taste)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 large jalapeño, sliced
- Heat a medium-size skillet on medium heat, and add the ground beef.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir as the ground beef cooks.
- Continue cooking until the ground beef is thoroughly cooked. Transfer the meat to a paper towel-lined plate to get rid of the excess grease. Also remove any extra grease in the pan.
- Heat the skillet again on medium heat, and add the meat back in. Add the tomato sauce, and stir until the mixture is warm. If the mixture is on the thick side, stir in just a bit of water. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat, and add the canola oil so that it’s no higher in the pan than 1/3 of the depth.
- When the oil starts to heat up, add the potatoes. Watch the temperature of the oil closely — if it gets too hot, turn it down a bit. Using tongs, keep turning the fries as they cook until they’re a golden color on each side. Transfer the fries to a paper towel-lined plate. Add salt to taste.
- While the fries are hot, add them to small- to medium-size microwavable serving bowls. Place the fries along the edges of the bowl, and loosely layer them in toward the middle of the bowl to form a “blossom” (that looks kind of like a fried onion blossom).
- Top with the taco meat and cheese. Warm in the microwave if needed to melt the cheese.
- Top with tomatoes, green onion, cilantro and jalapeño, and serve while warm.