What’s so fun about this pizza is that the toppings can be customized (just like a hot dog) since they’re added after it comes out of the oven.
Or how about having a chili dog pizza bar this Super Bowl Sunday, and let your guests top their own pizzas with onions, jalapeños, tomatoes, bell peppers or whatever else you like?
This pizza is even good without the toppings and served as is with chili-cheesy hot dog goodness.
They’re great for making ahead of time too. Just top premade, personal-size pizza crusts with chili, cheese and sliced hot dogs, and then warm it up just before serving.
I like to brown the slices of hot dogs in a separate pan before putting them on the pizza so they taste like they do when cooked on the barbecue.
And remember to make extra for the chef.
Chili dog pizza recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 10 minutes | Total time: 20 minutes
- 2 premade, personal-size, thin pizza crusts
- 1 (15-ounce) can chili con carne with beans
- 2 hot dogs, cut in widthwise slices
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped tomato
- 1 large jalapeño, sliced
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat a small pan on medium heat, and add the hot dog slices. Stir as they cook. Let cook until the sides start to brown (about 4 minutes). Remove from the heat, and set aside.
- On a large pizza pan, lay the pizza crusts.
- Spread the chili on top of the crusts.
- Top with cheese and hot dog slices.
- Bake until the chili warms up and the cheese melts (about 10 minutes).
- Serve while hot, and top with onion, tomatoes and jalapeño.