Robicelli’s basic American buttercream frosting recipe
If you can’t find mascarpone, just replace it with 8 ounces of butter.
Yields 24 cupcakes’ worth of frosting
Total time: 5 – 10 minutes
- 3 sticks (1-1/2 cups) unsalted butter
- 8 ounces mascarpone
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (plus more for thinning, if necessary)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- With a hand or stand mixer, beat the butter, mascarpone and heavy cream until it becomes fluffy.
- Add the powdered sugar 1/4 cup at a time. Taste the frosting frequently to ensure you’re not adding too much.
- Once it’s all incorporated, increase the mixer speed to high, and beat it until it’s fluffy and light. Taste. If it seems heavy, you can add a little extra heavy cream a little at a time to thin it.
- Scream “‘Merca!” because you now have the perfect American buttercream.
Reprinted from Robicelli’s: A Love Story, with Cupcakes by arrangement with Avery, a member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC, A Penguin Random House Company. Copyright © 2013, Allison Robicelli & Matt Robicelli.