When it comes to winning my heart, the answer is food. More specifically, red meat. It had better be medium-rare (at most!) and should always be accompanied by a nice, chewy glass of red wine. It’s that simple, really.
Whether it’s Valentine’s Day or just a weekly date night, this simple cowboy steak skillet will win over hearts left and right. Nothing says love better than 1.5 pounds of perfectly marbled rib-eye. Am I right?
Cooked stovetop right in the skillet, this juicy steak is ready in just 20 minutes, start to finish. It’s so buttery and delicious I wouldn’t even fault you for saying “screw it” to the sides and just eating this one straight out of the pan.
Skillet cowboy steak
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Total time: 20 minutes
- 1.5-pound bone-in rib-eye steak
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- In a large, cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, place the oil and butter.
- Once the oil and butter are sizzling, add the shallots, and cook until softened and starting to brown and crisp.
- Meanwhile, season the steak very generously with salt and pepper. Each side should be completely coated.
- Remove the shallots from the skillet, transfer them to a small plate, and set them aside.
- Transfer the steak to the skillet, and cook for about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- Let the steak rest on a cutting board for a few minutes before slicing.
- Top with the shallots, and serve immediately.