Chocolate meringue kisses are just as sweet as the real thing
Meringues always remind me of cotton candy, with their melt-in-your-mouth kind of sensation (minus the fun fair atmosphere and sticky-finger kids running around).
With the addition of chocolate and some subtle booze (I chose amaretto, but go with whatever favorite dessert liqueur you want or have on hand), they also happen to make a great Valentine's Day treat.
Don't be scared off by the egg white beating or the pastry bag piping — they're both much simpler than they seem, and once you (or your sweetie) taste the first one, you'll be glad you gave them a shot.
Chocolate meringue kisses recipe
Serves 10 – 12
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 1 hour | Inactive time: 25 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 35 minutes
For the meringues
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon amaretto liqueur
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
- Heat the oven to 225 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium-size bowl, beat the eggs whites with a handheld electric mixer until foamy.
- Add the cream of tartar, and continue beating until soft peaks form.
- Slowly add the granulated sugar, and continue to beat until glossy and stiff.
- Sift the powdered sugar and cocoa powder together, then slowly add and fold into the egg whites until thoroughly incorporated.
- Scoop the mixture into a large ziplock or pastry bag fitted with a star piping tip. If you don't have a piping tip, just snip off a corner of the bag once filled with the mixture.
- Pipe the meringue onto the baking sheet in "kiss" shapes about 1 – 1-1/2 inches wide.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Turn off the oven, and leave the meringues inside for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and let cool a few minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Make the glaze by combining all the ingredients in a small bowl and melting the mixture in the microwave. Stir until completely melted and combined, and then drizzle on top of the meringues with a spoon.