Meatless Monday: Shiitake, bok choy and tofu stir-fry is anything but boring
Easy, easy, easy. That's what this recipe is, along with being healthy, filling and flavorful. Tofu takes on the flavors of what you cook with it, so you'll love that this stir-fry includes a delightful sauce.
Some people might think that tofu is on the dull side for dinner, but after you take a bite of this Meatless Monday dish, your thoughts will change. The sauce in this recipe paired with the tasty veggies turn this dish into something special.
Bok choy is really great for this dish. I dice up the stems and cook it with the shallot. It provides great crunch for this stir-fry, and its leaves are so delicious. I also toss in a bit of red bell pepper for added color (you could use snow peas or edamame) and finish off the sauce with a bit of orange juice for some bright flavor.
Shiitake mushroom, bok choy and tofu stir-fry recipe
Stir-fry is a favorite at many restaurants, but you can easily make this delicious dish at home. If you’d like to change up the veggies, it’s easy to do, but I think you’ll love the colors and flavors of this recipe.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
Serves 2 – 4
- 1 (12-ounce) container firm tofu, pressed to remove any liquid, cut into triangles
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 bunch bok choy, stems trimmed and diced, leaves torn
- 6 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, cleaned and ends trimmed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeds and membrane removed, cut into thin stirps
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2-1/2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon white rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce, more to taste
- 1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Cooked rice to serve with the stir-fry
- To a medium bowl, add the vegetable broth, orange juice, sesame oil, vinegar, soy sauce and pepper. Mix to combine. Taste, and adjust the seasoning as needed. Whisk in the cornstarch, and set aside.
- To a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon of the oil. When the oil is hot, add the tofu to the skillet, and cook, turning, until golden, about 5 – 8 minutes. Remove from the skillet, and set aside. Wipe the skillet clean.
- Add the remaining oil to the skillet over medium heat. Again, when the oil is hot, add the shallot and bok choy stems. Cook for several minutes. Add the garlic, and cook for 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms, and cook, tossing, for a few minutes.
- Stir the liquid mixture, and add it to the skillet. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat as it begins to thicken slightly.
- Add the bok choy to the mixture, and toss to combine. Cook for a few minutes or until the bok choy wilts and turns bright green.
- Gently add the tofu to the skillet, and toss to coat. Remove from the heat.
- Serve warm with rice.