Don’t throw away those sweet potato skins — they make one heck of a tasty snack!
In this twist on classic potato skins — and with a nod to the other classic appetizer, spinach-artichoke dip — I turned sweet potato skins into a delicious vegetarian bite.
Just like with potato skins, use a spoon to gently scrape the flesh from each sweet potato half. Then pack in the light cream cheese and veggie filling to add so much flavor (but at the same time won’t totally wreck your healthy-eating habits). Feel free to change up the ingredients to your own liking, but we love the combination of flavors in this tasty appetizer.
Cheesy artichoke and spinach sweet potato skins recipe
Serves 4 – 6
Prep time: 10 minutes | Bake time: 50 minutes | Inactive time: 10 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 8 ounces light veggie cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup plain 0 percent Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup marinated artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1 cup sautéed spinach
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash and dry the sweet potatoes. Using a fork, prick holes into each potato.
- Wrap the potatoes in foil, and bake for 35 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Remove from the oven and from the foil. Allow to cool for 10 minutes or until they can be handled.
- Once cooled, cut them in half, and gently scoop out the flesh. (Save the unused flesh for another recipe.)
- In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients, and mix well.
- Fill each potato skin with the mixture, and place them on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 – 15 minutes or until the tops of the skins begin to brown.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, and serve warm.