Just say “no” to chicken that’s dry, bland and flavorless. This slow cooker recipe easily makes chicken enjoyable again while keeping it super juicy and adding a ton of flavor.
Chicken breasts are added to the slow cooker and slowly simmered in a rich sauce full of fresh basil pesto, garlic, chicken broth and half-and-half. And the cream cheese really gives this sauce a thick, velvety consistency.
This chicken is great served over pasta, but I also like to serve it over cooked quinoa with some feta cheese or diced tomatoes mixed in. It also makes a superb make-ahead lunch that reheats perfectly the next day.
Cheesy pesto slow cooker chicken recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 4 hours | Total time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup basil pesto (or more, if desired)
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Small handful fresh basil leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- To the slow cooker, add the chicken breasts.
- To a blender or food processor, add the remaining ingredients, and blend the sauce on high until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the pesto sauce on top of the chicken, and lightly toss the chicken to evenly coat.
- Cover the slow cooker, and set the timer to cook on low for 4 hours or until the chicken is completely cooked.
- Transfer to serving plates, and garnish with fresh parsley. Best served warm.