Put a twist on pizza night with an easy homemade pretzel dough crust
If you love soft, chewy pretzels and all things pizza, this recipe is sure to impress. A simple homemade pretzel dough can make pizza night more delicious than ever.
Did you ever think about making something other than pretzels with leftover pretzel dough? While making a batch of homemade pretzels with my son, an idea popped into my head, making me think "pizza!"
We love pizza in my house, and it’s a must on our dinner table at least once a week. While ordering out is fun and easy, a homemade crust really is just as easy as picking up the phone but saves you cash.
For a twist, try this easy pretzel dough recipe that's super fluffy and bakes up golden brown in the oven. Make sure you bake the crust just a few minutes before you add your favorite toppings. This ensures the center bakes and can handle the load of sauces and vegetables you use.
Pretzel dough pizza crust recipe
Yields 1 large crust
Prep time: 10 minutes | Inactive time: 30 minutes | Bake time: 15 minutes | Total time: 55 minutes
- 1-1/2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup water
- Coarse salt
- In a bowl, combine the warm water, honey and yeast. Mix well, and let stand for 5 minutes.
- To a large mixing bowl, add the flour and sea salt.
- Mix the yeast mixture into the flour until a soft dough forms.
- Let stand for 20 minutes or until the dough rises and doubles in size.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F, and line a pizza pan with parchment paper.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and roll the dough into desired-size crust.
- In a small bowl, combine the baking soda and water. Brush the mixture around the outer crust of the pizza, and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake the crust for 5 minutes before adding any toppings.
- Remove the crust from the oven, top with sauce or desired toppings, and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until the crust is golden.