Flaxseed gives blueberry-oat muffins an extra nutritional boost
With chaotic busy mornings, breakfast can be very stressful in my house. To keep things simple, I love making homemade muffins full of healthy ingredients for my family to grab on their way out the door.
These easy homemade muffins are full of organic blueberries, ground flaxseeds and oat flour. I used a small amount of agave for a little sweetness and vanilla extract for a lovely hint of flavor.
You can easily make this recipe gluten free by using gluten-free oatmeal to make your own oat flour in the food processor.
Blueberry and flaxseed oat muffins recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes | Bake time: 20 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseeds
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pint fresh organic blueberries
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup raw agave
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with liners, and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. In a separate mixing bowl, combine all the wet ingredients, and mix until very smooth.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, being careful to not mash the blueberries.
- Fill each muffin cup 3/4 of the way full with the batter.
- Bake the muffins for 18 – 20 minutes or until they are nice and fluffy and the centers of the muffins are completely baked.
- Serve warm with honey butter or as is. Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.