Meatless Monday: Pan-fried orange tofu with snap peas in 30 minutes
Skip the takeout, and get creative in the kitchen this Meatless Monday. With just a few ingredients, you can easily whip up this delicious homemade Asian dinner that's vegetarian and reminiscent of the classic orange chicken dish.
Extra-firm tofu is lightly pan-fried in toasted sesame oil until slightly golden. I added in some fresh and crisp green sugar snap peas and orange slices, and simmered it all in a homemade orange sauce.
This is a recipe you can easily adjust and use any vegetables you have on hand, and the sauce is also wonderful with chicken.
Pan-fried orange tofu with snap peas recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
For the sauce
- 2 large oranges, juiced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey or brown sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the tofu
- 1 (1-pound) block extra-firm tofu, cubed
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame or peanut oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups sugar snap peas or snow peas
- 1 large orange, sliced into half-moons
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- To a blender, add all the ingredients for the sauce, and blend on high for 1 minute or until smooth.
- Heat a large nonstick pan over medium heat, add the sesame oil and tofu, and cook for about 5 minutes per side.
- Add the sauce, cover the pan, and simmer for 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Add the sugar snap peas and orange slices, and simmer for an additional 5 minutes or until the peas are tender.
- Garnish with cilantro, and serve warm.