Just add a simple salad, and make it an easy meal with this slow cooker chicken Alfredo macaroni and cheese.
Saucy and cheesy is the way to go with mac and cheese. Only this macaroni and cheese comes with a bonus: big pieces of shredded chicken.
My favorite thing about this recipe besides everything is how good the shredded chicken tastes in the cheese sauce. I like to keep the pieces of chicken on the larger side when making this dish.
This macaroni and cheese is definitely second helping worthy.
I can say that from experience, since the cook has to taste test it a number of times to make sure it’s just right.
Slow cooker chicken Alfredo macaroni and cheese recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 2 hours | Total time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- 4 cups elbow macaroni, cooked al dente (equals about 2 cups or 8 ounces dry elbow macaroni)
- 3 large, boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked (each breast pulled apart into 2 large pieces)
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 3 dashes ground black pepper
- 2 pinches dried red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut in small cubes
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (for macaroni and cheese)
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- 4 dashes paprika, for garnish (1 dash per serving)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped Italian parsley, for garnish
- Cooking spray
- Spray the bowl of the slow cooker with cooking spray.
- To the bowl of the slow cooker, add the chicken broth, evaporated milk, garlic powder, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and Parmesan cheese. Stir together.
- Add the large pieces of shredded chicken. Make sure the chicken is immersed in the liquid.
- Add the butter evenly on top of the mixture, cover with the lid, and set the total time for cooking at 2 hours.
- After the mixture has cooked for 1-1/2 hours, stir in the Swiss cheese, mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese, cream, macaroni and cornstarch.
- Cover with the lid, and let cook for the remaining 30 minutes.
- If the sauce is too thin, stir in a bit more cornstarch. If it’s too thick, stir in a little more cream until it reaches the desired thickness.
- Pull out the pieces of chicken, and put them on a plate. Use 2 forks to shred them into pieces that are on the larger side, then return the chicken to the sauce, and add the macaroni.
- Stir together, and taste test to see if it needs more salt.
- Serve while hot.
- Garnish each serving with Parmesan cheese, paprika and parsley.