How to make an amazing coconut cake from a can of beans
No flour? No nut meal? No problem. You can whip up a fabulous, moist coconut cake using the can of white beans in your pantry.
Alwayskeep cans of beans in your pantry. Cannellini beans, black beans or white beans can be whipped and blended into creamy mash, brownies or a handy dip when guests pop in... not to mention the protein punch beans deliver. It's a winning combination of flavor and nutrition.
This cake was a revelation to me, and since developing it, I haven't made a flour-based cupcake again. From start to finish, these lovelies are ready in 30 minutes. I have included a vegan lemon curd recipe because it works so well with the coconut goodness of the cakes, but they are wonderful naked, too. Aren't we all?
Vegan lemon curd topping recipe
- 1 cup almond milk
- Juice and zest from 3 lemons
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (or agave)
- 5 teaspoons corn flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Off heat, whisk together the almond milk, juice, zest and maple syrup to combine in a saucepan.
- On low to medium heat, add the corn flour 1 teaspoon at a time, whisking as you go. I say 1 teaspoon at a time because, depending on the brand of corn flour, the mixture might thicken quickly. By going slow and adding the corn flour incrementally, you'll get the curd texture you want. I stopped adding corn flour when the mix was thick and covered a spoon.
- Take the mix off the heat, stir in the vanilla and allow it to cool.
- For a thick curd, allow the mix to cool, and then pop it in the fridge to really thicken.
Cannellini coconut cake recipe
- 1 (400-gram) can cannellini beans, rinsed well
- 2 flax eggs (or 2 eggs for non-vegans)
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil (or 3 tablespoons nondairy butter)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or any unprocessed sugar)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a muffin or cupcake pan with liners — either 6 molds for full-size cupcakes or 12 for a smaller variety. In the absence of flour or meal, the cakes have less lift.
- Starting with the flax eggs, add all ingredients to a food processor and blitz for 30 seconds until the beans are smooth.
- Divide the batter into the cake molds and bake the tray in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove it from the oven and allow it to cool before either piping or drizzling the curd over the top.