The Old-Fashioned gets a seasonal makeover with cinnamon and cranberry
Old-Fashioneds have become a fast favorite of mine recently.
They're somewhere in the realm of sophisticated yet rustic and pretty much perfectly fit my mid-30s life right about now, since the nights of drinking beer after beer after beer don't sound appealing anymore, and yet after one glass of Champagne on fancy occasions, I'm over the bubbles.
To change things up a bit to make this Old-Fashioned fit for winter, I've added a cinnamon simple syrup and cranberries. It's the perfect cocktail to get you through the cold months ahead.
Cinnamon-cranberry Old-Fashioned recipe
Total time: 25 minutes
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 ounce bourbon
- 1 ounce cranberry juice
- 3 dashes bitters
- Sparkling water, to top off
- Frozen cranberries
- In a small saucepot, whisk together the water and sugar, then add the cinnamon sticks. Bring to a simmer, and cook, whisking frequently, for about 5 – 7 minutes, until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat, set aside, and let cool completely.
- Once cooled, remove the cinnamon sticks from the pot.
- Add 1 ounce of the cinnamon simple syrup to a glass filled with ice. Add the remaining ingredients, and stir until combined.
- Store any extra simple syrup in an airtight container in the refrigerator.