Homemade apple pie protein bars — good for you and your wallet
Skip those store-bought protein snack bars, and easily make your own homemade version right at home for less money. Rolled oats, brown rice syrup and vanilla protein powder give these bars a lightly sweet flavor while packing in the protein.
Add some apple pie spices to the mixture along with crunchy nuts and dried fruit for even more healthy flavor. These protein bars are great for a quick morning bite or as a pre- or post-workout snack.
Healthy apple pie oat protein bars recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes | Inactive time: 30 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes
- 1/4 cup dried medjool dates
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup or honey
- 1/4 cup cashew or almond butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup puffed quinoa cereal
- 1/4 cup dried currants or raisins
- 3 scoops vanilla protein powder
- 1 tablespoon apple pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts (I used almonds)
- Line a baking dish or pan with parchment paper.
- To a food processor, add the dates, brown rice syrup, cashew butter and vanilla extract.
- Pulse several times until the mixture is smooth but clumpy.
- To a mixing bowl, add the rolled oats, puffed quinoa, protein powder and remaining ingredients.
- Add the date mixture, and combine well into the dry ingredients.
- Press the mixture into the baking pan, and chill for 30 minutes or until the mixture is firm.
- Remove the mixture from the pan, and cut into bars of desired size.
- Store for several days in an airtight container.