Smoky roasted eggplant salad chock-full of healthy Mediterranean flavors
If you haven't tried smoky eggplant, you're missing out. And this salad is a perfect place to start.
It takes a simple method to get that perfect smoky flavor infused into eggplant. Just put them straight on the stovetop, and wait for the skin to get scorched black. Peel, discard the black skin, and voilà! Your eggplant has never tasted better. Of course you can also char the eggplant on a barbecue grill, but the stovetop method is much easier, and you can do it in any weather.
Once the eggplant is charred and the flesh is ready to be mixed with the other ingredients, the possibilities for flavors are endless. One of my favorite combinations is to mix it with feta, olives, herbs, lemon and good-quality extra-virgin olive oil (the quality always matters). If I have a bottle of my favorite brand of roasted bell peppers, then I chop them up too and mix them with the salad. The result is an incredible salad of really delicious Mediterranean flavors, and I strongly suggest you try it.
Charred smoky eggplant salad with feta, lemon and herbs recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 10 minutes | Total time: 20 minutes
- 2 big eggplants
- 1/4 cup olives, pitted and sliced
- 1/4 cup roasted bell peppers, coarsely chopped
- 1 organic lemon, zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh herbs, like parsley or thyme
- 5 ounces feta cheese, diced
- Using the tip of a knife, pierce the eggplants all around.
- Place the eggplants straight on the stovetop on low heat or on the barbecue grill for about 10 minutes or until the skin is completely charred.
- Peel the eggplants, discard the skin, then dice the pulp.
- In a bowl, mix all the remaining ingredients except for the feta cheese. Adjust the taste, then mix in the feta cheese, being careful to not crumble it too much.