Meatless Monday: Mini feta-spinach tarts are as tasty as they are adorable
Anything in mini format is adorable, right? Definitely true when it comes to these mini feta and spinach tarts with sun-dried tomatoes. What a treat.
Do you have visitors headed your way or a special brunch ahead? These are perfect on a Meatless Monday (or any day, really), especially when you want to impress your guests without much effort.
You’ll need six (5-inch) tart pans to make these, and in no time you’ll have a fabulous dish to serve for a special brunch or light lunch. The ingredients are a perfect combo — spinach, feta and sun-dried tomatoes — and the prepared pie dough helps keep things convenient.
Mini feta and spinach tarts with sun-dried tomatoes recipe
Be sure you have the needed 5-inch tart pans before starting this recipe.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
- 2 prepared (9-inch) pie crusts
- 8 ounces baby spinach leaves, stems removed, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup white onion, diced
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup half-and-half
- 4 ounces sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese, plus extra for topping
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly spray the tart pans with the nonstick cooking spray.
- Using the tart pans as a guide, cut out 6 rounds from the pie dough, about an inch bigger than the pans. Place the dough inside the pans, flattening it down into the bottom and up the sides. Cut off any excess dough.
- Add a round of parchment paper to each to cover the dough. Add pie weights or dried beans over the parchment to weigh it down. Place on a baking sheet, and bake for 10 minutes. When cool to the touch, remove the weights or beans, then remove the tarts from the pans, place back on the baking sheet, and set aside.
- To a large skillet over medium heat, add the butter. When the butter is hot, add the onion, and cook for a few minutes or until it begins to soften. Add the spinach, eggs, half-and-half, sun-dried tomatoes, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Mix to combine. Cook for a few minutes, and remove from the heat.
- Divide the feta, and sprinkle it over the bottom of the tarts. Divide the spinach mixture evenly among the tarts. Bake for 8 – 10 minutes or until the egg mixture has set and the crusts are lightly golden.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle with a bit more feta cheese, and serve warm.