One-Pot Wonder: Belly-warming tomato escarole soup for a quick winter meal
Making a hearty and filling soup isn’t as tricky or intimidating as you may think. And no, it doesn't need to come from a can to be an easy meal option.
With some healthy ingredients and one big soup pot, you can easily whip up your own batch of flavorful escarole tomato soup with orzo in no time.
This vegetarian one-pot soup is full of fresh escarole greens, diced tomatoes and orzo pasta. I used vegetable broth, but you can use chicken stock if you prefer or even add diced chicken to this already delicious soup.
One-pot escarole tomato soup with orzo recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 35 minutes | Total time: 45 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 (15-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can green beans
- 2 cups chopped escarole leaves
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup orzo pasta
- Parmesan, for garnish
- Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- To a pot over medium heat, add the olive oil and onion, and cook for 3 – 4 minutes or until the onions are soft.
- Add in the minced garlic, and cook for an additional minute, until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the vegetable broth, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, vegetables and seasonings. Mix well, then cover the pot, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the orzo, and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls, garnish with Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley, and serve warm.