Turkey taco hand pies prove tortillas are overrated
It's easy to turn a routine meal into a fun dinner. Just skip the taco shells and tortillas, and use puff pastry along with simple taco staples.
Puff pastry dough is simply rolled out and filled with cooked turkey taco meat, refried beans, a bit of cheese and a dollop of sour cream for a new and improved way to eat your favorite meal.
To keep this dinner speedy, you can prepare your taco meat a day or two in advance so it's ready when you are to make your hand pies.
You can also make these vegetarian by skipping on the meat altogether and adding extra beans, cooked diced potatoes or tomatoes. Another bonus: These hand pies freeze well, making them a handy, homemade after-school snack or quick, ready-made meal.
Turkey taco hand pies recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes | Bake time: 30 minutes | Total time: 45 minutes
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- 1 cup cooked taco-seasoned lean ground turkey (or use beef or chicken)
- 1 cup refried beans
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Salsa, for serving
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut each sheet of pastry dough into 3 pieces for a total of 6 pieces, and place them on the baking sheet.
- Divide the turkey taco meat, refried beans, cheese and sour cream among the dough pieces, placing each ingredient on 1 side of the dough.
- Gently fold the other half of the dough over the top, covering the filling, and press the edges down to seal.
- Bake the hand pies uncovered for 25 – 30 minutes or until the dough is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, and garnish with fresh cilantro. Best served warm with a salsa (if desired).