Creamy polenta with roasted veggies — a simply delicious gluten-free meal
This polenta dish is loaded with flavor thanks to all the roasted veggies you pile on top. It's perfect for lunch or as part of a light, gluten-free meal.
Polenta is a classic Italian dish that is simple yet filling. You can serve it topped with many different ingredients. This recipe includes roasted tomatoes, eggplant and onion. Roasting veggies brings out a touch of caramelization and sweetness.
Grab your favorite tomato sauce and some grated Parmesan cheese too to top your polenta. You’ll have a flavorful and filling dish for dinner (or lunch) in under 30 minutes.
Note: Gluten can be found in many different foods and products, from ketchup to soy sauce to candy and seasonings. While SheKnows tries to ensure that these recipes are gluten-free, carefully read the ingredient labels of all food and food products you use for these recipes to ensure they are also gluten-free.
Creamy polenta with roasted tomatoes, onion and eggplant recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes
Serves 4 – 6
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small eggplant, end trimmed, cut into 1/2-inch rounds, then cut again into cubes
- 1 onion, cut into small wedges
- 4 Roma tomatoes, cut into quarters, then cut again in half
- Salt and black pepper, to season the vegetables
- 1 cup polenta
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- Grated Parmesan cheese, as garnish
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly spray 2 baking pans with the nonstick cooking spray.
- Add the vegetables to the baking pans (put the eggplant on its own pan) in a single layer.
- Drizzle the vegetables with the 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven, and roast, tossing occasionally. The eggplant will likely finish roasting before the tomatoes and onion do. Remove the vegetables when they soften and begin to caramelize slightly.
- As the vegetables are cooking, prepare the polenta. To a large pan, add the water and 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring the water to a boil. Add the polenta a little at a time, stirring until it begins to thicken.
- Reduce the heat to low, and cook, stirring frequently, for approximately 25 minutes.
- Stir the butter into the mixture.
- Serve on individual plates, each topped with a few spoonfuls of tomato sauce, the vegetables and Parmesan cheese.