Christmas morning is my absolute favorite part of the day. Even as an adult, the excitement of the day when you wake up, see the tree all lit and know that the next few hours will be spent among family and friends surrounded by delicious food just makes me happy.
That said, there’s no better time than the first few hours in the morning, pajamas still on and plenty of holiday mugs filled with coffee, to bake that perfect breakfast for the special day.
I know almost every family out there has their own Christmas tradition for breakfast, but if you’re looking to change things up, these Christmas morning scones epitomize the holiday. With fresh rosemary, nutmeg, cranberries and a sweet vanilla bean glaze, they’re everything you love about this festive season in one delicious breakfast bite. The best part is that you can prep the dough the night before and just bake them off in the morning so you can enjoy all the morning festivities (and chaos!) with your family.
Christmas morning scones recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes | Inactive time: 8 hours | Cook time: 15 minutes | Total time: 8 hours 30 minutes
For the scones
- 2-1/2 cups flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped rosemary
- 1/4 cup chopped dried cranberries
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, diced
- 3/4 cup milk, plus a little more for brushing
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
For the glaze
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Milk, to thin
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, rosemary and cranberries.
- Add the butter, and cut in with 2 forks or a pastry cutter (or use your fingers) until the mixture is the texture of coarse meal.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and vanilla bean paste.
- Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture, and mix until just combined. Form the dough into a disc shape, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, heat the oven to 450 degrees F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Press the dough out into an 8-inch circle, cut into 8 wedge-shaped pieces, and gently pull the wedges apart. Place each scone on the baking sheet.
- Brush each scone top with a little milk, and then bake for 15 – 18 minutes, until the tops and edges are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, and let cool.
- While the scones cool, to a small bowl, add the powdered sugar and a little bit of milk, and stir until desired consistency.
- Once the scones have cooled, brush each with the powdered sugar glaze, and serve.