Give your cauliflower a delicious makeover with this simple comfort food side dish.
Part of the cruciferous vegetable family, cauliflower is very high in vitamin C and has its fair share of vitamin K and folic acid too. Cauliflower is usually white and available year-round, but if you want to add some color to your table, get the orange and purple versions available in the colder months to create a more vibrant-looking side dish. In this recipe, I used all three colors, and my usual cauliflower rice came out a nice mixture of oranges, purples and whites.
You can serve cauliflower rice in any way you want — even raw to go in salads — but in this recipe I sautéed it quickly with pancetta (or bacon) and some Parmesan cheese. With just a few ingredients, you’ve got a healthier comfort food side dish.
Cheesy cauliflower rice with bacon recipe
Prep time: 12 minutes | Cook time: 8 minutes | Total time: 20 minutes
- 1 head cauliflower (14 ounces yields about 3 cups of granules)
- 1/3 cup pancetta or bacon, diced
- Olive oil
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Cut the cauliflower, and separate the florets from the stalks. You will need the florets and some tender stalks chopped from small to medium pieces. Put them in the food processor, and pulse until the florets become granules like rice.
- In a large saucepan, fry the pancetta or bacon.
- Discard the excess oil, leaving the pancetta in the saucepan, and drizzle with the olive oil.
- Sauté the cauliflower for about 2 minutes, then add the Parmesan, and mix for about 30 seconds. Add salt and pepper to taste, then garnish with the fresh parsley.