With Christmas meal planning in full swing, I’m looking for holiday desserts that not only look and taste great but that also double as edible gifts. This festive pound cake fits the bill and gets a little holiday flair from fresh and dried cranberries.
Rather than use a plain vanilla glaze, I wanted to really bring out the flavors of the winter season and incorporated pink grapefruit into the drizzle. The flavor is mild and adds just a hint of citrus without overpowering the cake.
If you are not a fan of the super-tart flavor of fresh cranberries, then just omit them from the recipe, as the dried cranberries add a ton of flavor on their own.
Cranberry pound cake with pink grapefruit glaze recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes | Bake time: 30 minutes | Inactive time: 1 hour 30 minutes | Total time: 2 hours 10 minutes
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2-1/2 cups cane sugar
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups dried cranberries, divided
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- Zest of 1 orange
For the pink grapefruit glaze
- 1-1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 pink grapefruit, juiced
- Pinch sea salt
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F, and spray a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients, but reserve 1/2 cup of the dried cranberries. In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients, and mix very well.
- Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry, and mix until the batter is smooth and there are no clumps.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan, and bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until the center of the cake is completely baked.
- Remove the cake from the oven, and allow it to cool completely on a wire rack for about 1 hour.
- While the cake cools, to a small bowl, add the ingredients for the glaze, and mix well. Once the cake is cool, drizzle the pink grapefruit glaze on top, and garnish with the remaining dried cranberries. Allow the drizzle to harden, about 30 minutes.
- Once the glaze has hardened, slice the cake, and serve.