Chocolate gingerbread cookie bars — the perfect excuse for tons of frosting
I have a love for all cookies, but I love them even more when they are in bar form. They are easy to make, and all this recipe involves is a mixer and a jelly roll pan — forming individual cookies not required. How simple and easy can that be?
These cookies are similar in flavor to a chocolate chip cookie, but with a gingerbread twist. Plus I topped them with a vanilla-molasses frosting. It's the perfect Christmas cookie to bake up this holiday season.
Chocolate gingerbread cookie bar recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes | Bake time: 20-25 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1-1/2 cups dark brown sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons molasses, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste, divided
- 2 cups bittersweet chocolate morsels
- 1 container store-bought vanilla frosting
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F, and spray a 15 x 10-inch jelly roll pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, sea salt, ground ginger and pumpkin pie spice, then set aside.
- To the bowl of your electric mixer, add the dark brown sugar and butter. Beat on medium high speed for about 3 minutes, until fluffy and combined.
- Add in the 2 tablespoons of molasses, and mix to combine.
- Add in the eggs, and mix until combined, making sure to scrape down the sides.
- Mix in 1 teaspoon of the vanilla bean paste.
- Slowly add in the flour until well incorporated.
- Stir in the bittersweet chocolate morsels.
- Add the cookies to the prepared pan, pressing to smooth out the batter and cover the whole pan.
- Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes or until the cookies are browned around the edges.
- Let cool before frosting.
- To make the frosting, combine the vanilla frosting with the remaining 2 teaspoons of molasses and 1 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste.
- Frost the cookies, then cut them into bars.