One-Pot Wonder: Chickpea, chorizo and bean soup adds Spanish flair to dinner
If you're always hurrying and running around between work and home duties, you are not alone. So many of us are trying to juggle our daily activities while also ensuring we have warm food on the table, home-cooked if we can.
The good news is that homemade meals don't have to be elaborate. There are some kitchen shortcuts, like one-pot meals, that are quick and easy and permit us to get a complete dinner on the table in no time. Not much effort is needed — just put everything in the pot, and wait.
This hearty Spanish-inspired soup is always a big success in my home because of the rich flavors given by the chorizo and bell peppers. And the combination of chickpeas, potatoes and beans makes it healthy and filling — the perfect one-pot dish for a busy family.
One-pot chickpea, chorizo and bean soup recipe
Prep time: 8 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Total time: 38 minutes
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 ounces chorizo, sliced
- 10 ounces potatoes, peeled and diced small
- 1 (14-ounce) can precooked chickpeas
- 1 (14-ounce) can precooked cannellini beans (or any similar kind of beans)
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence (or any mixture of dried herbs, like oregano, thyme, sage, parsley, etc.)
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh parsley, finely chopped
- In a large saucepan over medium heat with the olive oil, sauté the onions and chorizo for 1 minute.
- Add the potatoes, chickpeas, beans and bell peppers. Toss together for 3 minutes.
- Add the broth and herbes de Provence, and bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, simmer for 25 minutes on low heat.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with olive oil, and garnish with parsley before serving.