The slow cooker is the way to go when making ham, and it’s so easy to amp up the flavor by adding bourbon, butter and apple cider.
The hardest part about preparing this ham is making sure it fits in the slow cooker. I’ve made the mistake before of getting a ham that was a little too big.
So now I make sure to get a ham that’s on the smaller side when cooking it in the slow cooker so the lid will fit on top.
The bourbon, butter and apple cider glaze definitely agrees with this scrumptious ham, and it’s better than any glaze that comes premade.
Slow cooker hot buttered bourbon and apple cider ham recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 4 hours | Total time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- 1 fully cooked (6 pound) half bone-in ham (or smaller, depending on the size of the slow cooker)
- 1 cup apple cider (or apple juice)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) bourbon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- To a medium-size bowl, add the apple cider, apple cider vinegar, bourbon, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and cloves. Whisk together.
- To the slow cooker, add 1/2 the apple cider mixture.
- Lightly score the skin on the ham with a knife.
- Lay the ham in the slow cooker.
- Pour the remaining apple cider mixture on top of the ham.
- Set the slow cooker on the 4-hour setting, cover, and let cook.
- Serve the ham hot or chilled.