My family enjoys mainly vegetarian meals, and while there are plenty of tasty meatless dishes, sometimes the same old recipes get boring and need a little modifying. This hearty one-pot lentils recipe uses white wine, cream and plenty of Parmesan cheese to infuse the dish with tons of flavor and give it a velvety feel.
To give these lentils even more flavor, I used roasted garlic, fresh herbs, healthy veggies and a pinch of nutmeg. Try to use fresh herbs if possible, as they add an earthy flavor (plus they look pretty!).
And don’t worry about the alcohol in this dish — it cooks away before you are ready to serve it up.
Easy one-pot white wine lentils recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 40 minutes | Total time: 55 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 small sweet onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons jarred roasted garlic
- 1 cup canned sweet peas
- 1 cup canned diced carrots
- 1 (15 ounce) can lentils
- 1-1/2 cups canned whole potatoes, diced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme (plus more for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley (plus more for garnish)
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- To a large pot, add the olive oil, onions and garlic, and cook over medium heat until the onions are translucent, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add in the remaining ingredients except for the spinach and Parmesan cheese, and stir well.
- Cover, and simmer on medium-low for 25 to 30 minutes or until the mixture thickens and the vegetables soften.
- Finally, add in the baby spinach and Parmesan cheese. Cook an extra 5 minutes or until the spinach wilts, and then remove from the heat.
- Garnish with extra fresh chopped parsley and thyme, and serve warm.