Turn graham crackers into edible canvases for a fun winter food craft
Graham crackers make great edible "canvases" for adorable winter art using melted candy or chocolate to "paint" winter scenes.
My kids love graham crackers, and so I've been using them lately as little canvases for edible artwork. For this project, I decided to create some winter scenes since it's finally starting to get cold.
All you need are some graham crackers, melting candy wafers in a few colors and random candies and sprinkles for the details.
Anything will work — just use your imagination, or get the kids involved for ideas. Use your kids' artwork as inspiration, or better yet, let them be the "artists."
And don't forget to sprinkle a little powdered sugar over them to complete the wintry scene.
Edible graham cracker art with wintry scenes
Mix and match the type of graham crackers you use with honey, cinnamon or even chocolate "canvases." You can also add a name to each picture to use as holiday place cards.
Total time: 45 minutes
- 12 graham cracker squares
- Melting candy wafers (1 cup white, 1 cup light blue, 1/2 cup green, 1/4 cup yellow, 1/4 cup red)
- Pretzel pieces
- White Sixlets or other similar round candy for snowmen
- Round pearl sprinkles or other similar candy for birds
- Orange/yellow sprinkles for snowmen noses and bird beaks
- Black edible food writer
- Powdered sugar
- In a quart-size freezer bag, melt each color candy wafer in the microwave in 15-second intervals (or until candy is just melted). Usually 3 to 4 intervals. Melt it right before ready to use.
- Snip a small corner off the white melted candy bag, and pipe the bottom snow.
- Snip a small corner off the light blue melted candy bag, and pipe the top sky.
- While the candy is still wet, attach pretzel pieces as tree trunks, white Sixlets as snowmen and pearl sprinkles as bird bodies.
- Snip a small corner off the green melted candy bag, and pipe the trees.
- Snip a small corner off the yellow melted candy bag, and pipe the birds' feet. Attach yellow sprinkles with yellow candy melts as the beaks.
- Add sun shapes with yellow candy melt.
- Snip a small corner off the red melted candy bag, and pipe the snowmen's scarves.
- Attach orange sprinkles as snowmen's noses with white candy melt.
- Add eyes and snowmen buttons with the black food writer.
- Once all the candy has hardened, sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar.