Ratatouille is a classic French dish made of stewed vegetables. It’s healthy, hearty and easy to make, especially in a slow cooker, and so good served over pasta.
This flavorful combination of veggies typically includes eggplant and tomatoes as its main ingredients. I’ve included zucchini, onion, carrots and garlic in the mix. At the end of the cooking time, I tossed fresh cheese ravioli into the slow cooker for added heartiness.
And what would be better to serve with veggies and pasta than toasted Italian bread? Add a drizzle of olive oil and some Parmesan cheese, and you have yourself a delicious, meatless dinner.
Slow cooker ratatouille with ravioli recipe
Serves 4 – 6
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 2 hours 30 minutes | Total time: 2 hours 40 minutes
- 1 (8-ounce) package fresh (refrigerated) cheese ravioli
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and diced
- 2/3 cup carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1 green zucchini, sliced into rounds, then quartered
- 1/3 white onion, cut into thin strips
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 ounces shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 loaf Italian-style crunchy bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Spray the inside of the slow cooker with the nonstick cooking spray. Set the heat to high.
- Add the eggplant, carrot, zucchini, onion and garlic to the slow cooker. Add the can of diced tomatoes in juice on top.
- Season with the salt, black pepper and red pepper. Allow to cook, covered, for 2-1/2 – 3 hours on the high setting.
- About 15 minutes before the ratatouille is finished cooking, add the ravioli to the top of the mixture. Continue to cook for another 15 minutes.
- Just before serving, add several slices of the Italian bread to a baking sheet, and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Place under the broiler setting of the oven, just until toasted.
- Serve the ratatouille and ravioli over the toasted bread. Drizzle the remaining olive oil over each serving, and garnish with the Parmesan cheese and additional ground black pepper.