Slow Cooker Sunday: Effortless homemade Italian wedding soup
Use your slow cooker to whip up this hearty, delicious soup full of homemade chicken meatballs, pasta and vegetables. Everything comes together in 20 minutes, and dinner is served four hours later.
Slow cookers are good for so many dishes and really do take the stress out of preparing a healthy (and easy) meal. I love making homemade soup, but I don’t always have the time to stand around while it’s cooking.
This super-easy homemade Italian wedding soup is made effortlessly by using the slow cooker. I made my own chicken meatballs, but you can certainly use frozen if you like. The chicken will cook completely by the time the soup is finished, making this a delicious and hassle-free meal.
Slow cooker Italian wedding soup recipe
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 4 hours | Total time: 4 hours 20 minutes
For the chicken meatballs
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/4 cup Italian-style breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasonings
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 whole egg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the soup
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup uncooked small-shape pasta
- 1-1/2 cups diced carrots
- 1 small sweet onion, minced
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ingredients for the meatballs, and mix well. Using a small spoon, form the meatballs, and transfer them to a plate.
- To the bowl of the slow cooker, add all the ingredients for the soup, but reserve the spinach.
- Carefully add the meatballs to the slow cooker, and cover with the lid.
- Set the slow cooker to cook on high for 3 to 4 hours, cooking until the chicken meatballs are no longer pink inside.
- Right before serving the soup, add the fresh spinach to the slow cooker to allow the spinach to wilt.
- Spoon the soup into bowls, and garnish with fresh chopped parsley and fresh Italian bread for dipping, if desired.