Paella just got a whole lot easier thanks to this slow cooker recipe
You may be used to paella dishes that include shrimp or vegetables only, but I think you'll love this sausage and chicken paella recipe that is easily made in the slow cooker.
Traditional Spanish dish paella just got easier while being super tasty. The slow cooker does practically all the work, and what you get is a fabulous and flavorful meal, all in one bowl.
I’ve combined a spicy sausage (I used andouille sausage made with Cajun seasonings, but you can use any type you like, including a spicy Italian sausage) with chicken, brown rice and flavorful seasonings for this delightful dish. Serve this when you know you'll have a long day or when you're craving a warm and comforting meal.
Slow cooker sausage and chicken paella recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 4 hours 10 minutes | Total time: 4 hours 20 minutes
- 1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup white onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 pound andouille sausage, cut into bite-size pieces
- 8 ounces frozen vegetables (I used peas and carrots)
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Lightly spray the inside of the slow cooker with the nonstick cooking spray.
- To a large skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil. Add the onion, and cook for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken, and cook until browned. Add the sausage to the skillet to brown (leave the chicken in the skillet; just move it to the side). Transfer the sausage-chicken mixture to the slow cooker. Add the frozen vegetables and rice on top.
- Add the black pepper, cayenne, turmeric and oregano to the water, and mix to combine. Add the water, broth and tomatoes to the mixture.
- Cover, and cook on low heat for 4 hours.
- Stir, and serve warm.