4. How to deep-fry a turkey
- 1 (12 pound) turkey, neck and giblets removed
- 3 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons sage
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons rosemary
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 4 gallons peanut oil
- Mix together all the herbs and seasonings.
- Rub the inside and outside of the turkey with the rub.
- Let it set for 24 hours.
- Bring the turkey to room temperature. Rinse and pat dry.
- Fill your 30-quart pot with the peanut oil, and bring it to 350 degrees F.
- Carefully place the turkey into the fryer.
- Cook for 35 minutes (the internal temperature of the turkey should reach 150 degrees F).
- Remove the turkey from the oil, and let it rest for at least 20 minutes before carving.