3. Butterflied turkey
- 1 (12 pound) turkey, neck and giblets removed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 lemons, halved
- 1 head garlic, top cut off
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Rinse the inside and outside of the turkey, and pat dry with paper towels.
- Using kitchen shears, cut out the backbone of the turkey.
- Open the turkey, flip it over to breast side up, and break the breastbone on both sides by pressing down on the middle.
- Place the lemons, rosemary and garlic on the baking sheet. Flatten out the turkey on top.
- Brush with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 40 minutes, then rotate the turkey, and cook for another 40 minutes.
- Let the turkey rest for 20 minutes before carving.