Homemade cream of zucchini soup that's better than anything from a can
I love soup — tomato, minestrone — just about any kind or flavor. But I especially love this zucchini soup. I kept things simple here to showcase the green veggie for a super result.
In this recipe, I used fresh zucchini sautéed with onions, garlic and herbs, and then blended it with vegetable broth and a splash of cream for an easy and delicious vegetarian and gluten-free meal.
To keep cleanup minimal, blend the soup right in the pot using an immersion blender. If you don’t have an immersion blender, just carefully add the warm vegetables and broth to a blender, and you will get the same result.
This velvety cream soup is great for a winter’s night, a light, cozy lunch or as a side dish for a salad or some grilled chicken. This soup also freezes well, so make yourself a double batch.
Homemade cream of zucchini soup recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes
For the soup
- 4 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 Idaho or russet potato, diced
- 4-1/2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Italian dried seasonings
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Fresh parsley
- Toasted pine nuts
- To a large soup pot, add the zucchini, onion, garlic, potatoes, vegetable broth and seasonings, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Once the soup has reached a boil, reduce the heat to medium, cover the pot, and let the soup simmer for about 25 minutes or until the vegetables are very tender.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup in the pot until pureed. (If you don’t have an immersion blender, very carefully transfer the soup to a blender, and blend on high until smooth.)
- To the puree, stir in the sour cream and heavy whipping cream. Stir gently until the soup is thick and creamy.
- Spoon into bowls, and top with garnish. Best served warm.