Upgrade your banana bread with peanut butter and Nutella swirls
Chocolate-hazelnut, peanut butter, bananas. What's not to love?
This upgraded version of banana bread gets extra flavor from creamy peanut butter and delicious chocolaty Nutella that is swirled into the batter. (If you have a peanut allergy, try using almond butter in place of the peanut butter without changing the overall flavor too much.)
If you have overripe bananas lying around, you have the perfect excuse to make this bread. It's great for breakfast or dessert and makes a fantastic lunchbox snack.
Nutella-swirled peanut butter banana bread recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes | Bake time: 40 minutes | Inactive time: 30 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 large bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup plain or vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup or agave
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup Nutella
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F, and spray a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine all the wet ingredients (except for the peanut butter and Nutella), and mix until smooth.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat the peanut butter until warm, about 30 seconds, and stir into the wet ingredients.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and mix well.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan. In a microwave-safe bowl, warm the Nutella for 30 seconds or until warm.
- Pour the warm Nutella on top of the batter, and using a knife, swirl the Nutella into the batter.
- Bake uncovered for 40 minutes or until the center of the bread is baked completely.
- Cool the bread for 30 minutes, then slice and serve. Store leftovers in an airtight container for 2 days.