Make your morning waffles amazing by adding peanut butter to the batter. These homemade buttermilk waffles get a nice, hefty dose of real peanut butter swirled into the batter for a breakfast that could even double as dessert.
To make these waffles even more decadent, I topped them with creamy vanilla Greek yogurt, sliced bananas and mini dark chocolate chips. But that wasn’t quite enough, so I decided these waffles needed one more thing to make them perfect. A drizzle of both chocolate and caramel sauces complete these over-the-top waffles. It’s totally optional but so worth it.
Loaded homemade peanut butter waffles recipe
Yields 4 large waffles
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Total time: 25 minutes
For the waffles
- 2-1/4 cups waffle mix
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 whole egg
For the toppings
- 1 large banana, sliced
- 1 cup vanilla-flavored Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup mini dark chocolate chips
- Chocolate and caramel syrup, for garnish (optional)
- Heat your waffle iron as directed.
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the waffles, and mix very well until smooth.
- Spray the waffle iron with nonstick cooking spray, and prepare the waffles until all of them are cooked.
- Stack 2 waffles on a plate, and top with 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt, some banana slices and some mini dark chocolate chips.
- If desired, finish the waffles with chocolate and caramel drizzle. Best served immediately.