Chicken salad gets a tasty fall makeover with tons of seasonal crunch
On busy days, I want a super-quick lunch at the ready. This easy make-ahead chicken salad is the perfect choice so you don't have to worry about what to make. It's already done.
To upgrade the basic chicken salad recipe, this one gets fall flavor with fresh, crunchy apples, tart pomegranate seeds, sweet red grapes and green onions. And don't forget the simple homemade dressing made up of creamy Greek yogurt, light mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar and a little bit of agave.
It's a great way to use up leftover chicken from a previous meal, or just grab a rotisserie chicken from your grocer to save loads of time. You can easily make this salad several days in advance, and it's so versatile — spread it on any type of bread, in a wrap, on a croissant or even piled high on a green salad.
Autumn-inspired chicken salad sandwich recipe
Total time: 20 minutes
For the chicken salad
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, diced or shredded
- 1 large Golden Delicious apple, diced
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup sliced red grapes
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
For the dressing
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup or agave
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 slices bread (any type)
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the salad.
- In a separate bowl, combine all the ingredients for the dressing, and mix well until creamy.
- Fold the dressing into the chicken salad, and mix until everything is evenly coated.
- Divide the salad among 4 slices of bread, and top each with fresh parsley. Top with an additional slice of bread.
- Cut the sandwich in half, and serve.