Halloween has passed, so now it’s on to Thanksgiving goodies, including cute turkey treats. These little turkeys start with marshmallow Peeps chicks but also let you use up all that leftover candy corn too.
These turkeys are really pretty easy to make. All you need are some seasonal fall-colored marshmallow Peeps chicks and candy corn in various flavors as “feathers.”
The little Pilgrim hats made from mini marshmallows are a nice extra detail to get them all ready for Turkey Day.
Kids and grown-ups won’t be able to resist these cute little turkey Peeps! Gobble gobble!
How to make marshmallow turkey Peeps
Total time: 45 minutes
- 3 packages seasonal Peeps chicks flavors (this recipe used red velvet, pumpkin spice and candy corn)
- 45 candy corn pieces (various colors and flavors)
- 1/2 cup black candy melting wafers (you can also use chocolate chips)
- 1/2 cup yellow candy melting wafers
- 9 mini marshmallows
- To make the Pilgrim hats, place 1/2 cup of black candy melts into a small, microwave-safe bowl, and melt in the microwave on high power in 20-second intervals. Stir in between intervals until all the candy has melted.
- Add a toothpick into 1 end of a mini marshmallow, dip the entire marshmallow into the melted candy, tap off the excess, and remove. Let harden for 10 minutes on parchment paper, candy side down. Repeat with the remaining mini marshmallows.
- Remove the toothpicks once the candy has hardened.
- Using the already melted black candy (reheat as needed), make 9 round candy discs on parchment paper (about the size of a dime — these will be the bases of the hats). Use a toothpick or knife to scoop some of the melted candy onto the parchment paper. Spread it in circular fashion to make it the size of a dime.
- While the discs are still wet, gently press the dipped marshmallows into the centers, the non-candy-coated side down. Let the candy harden for 10 minutes.
- Add the yellow candy wafers to a quart-size freezer baggie. Microwave on high in 10- to 15-second intervals until just melted. (Usually 3 to 4 intervals.) Snip a small corner off the baggie, and “pipe” a small square shape to form a buckle onto the Pilgrim hat (use photo as guide).
- Remove the Peeps from the packaging, and insert the narrow end of a candy corn into back of the chick to make a small hole. Do this 5 times around the back where the feathers will be inserted.
- Add a small dollop of melted yellow candy into each hole, and immediately insert the candy corn (narrow side in) for the feathers. Hold each for 10 seconds, until the candy stands up on its own as the feathers. Repeat for the remaining chicks.