Not only does this dish incorporate a fall favorite, butternut squash, but the color is also quite seasonal. The addition of raisins adds a hint of sweetness to the dish, and the toasted slivered almonds add crunch. Using chickpeas as your protein gives you an added boost of fiber, plus you can add additional vegetables like carrots and cauliflower for more color and flavor.
Butternut squash chickpea curry recipe
- 8 ounces cubed butternut squash
- 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 scallions, white and green parts, chopped
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup Thai yellow curry sauce
- 1/2 cup cubed pineapple
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, place the squash, the broth and enough water to just cover the squash. Cook until the squash is soft, or for about 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Sauté the slivered almonds.
- Spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray to sauté the onions and scallions, about six minutes
- Add the squash, chickpeas, curry sauce, pineapple, bell peppers and raisins to the large saucepan to accompany the butternut squash. Incorporate the cauliflower and carrots into the simmering curry sauce.
- Stir and simmer until heated through, about 8 minutes.
- Serve the dish warm and top with slivered almonds. You can enjoy it as a stand-alone curry dish or with a slice of naan or on a bed of rice or couscous. Enjoy!
For more heart healthy and balanced meals, check out my book The One One One Diet: The Simple 1:1:1 Formula for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss. I share 75 recipes perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner!