Slow cooker peanut butter and chocolate cake — a seriously sinful dessert
No one will ever believe that you made this cake in the slow cooker.
Yes. We're putting flour and sugar in the slow cooker and mixing in some peanut butter and chocolate. Layering the mini Reese's on top is just a huge bonus. Let's make it a thing?
Are you asking yourself "why are we making a cake in the slow cooker?" Especially when we still have to do all the mixer-things first?
Well, let's just say that this totally works when you're cooking for a crowd. Like, game-day night at your crib? Or Thanksgiving dinner? It works. It frees up the oven, it takes longer to bake and you are not at all responsible for cutting it up all pretty and precise. Slide a spoon in the slow cooker and let everyone scoop out a piece. Ice cream on the side? Why not!
Also? You should really get to know your slow cooker a bit before you make this. In my slow cooker, this cake takes exactly 2 hours and 15 minutes on high. My mom's slow cooker wanted a few extra minutes. Like, 20 of 'em. Thus, if you are going to make this for guests, please give it a trial run first and see how much time you will need exactly to get it all done and ready to go when you need it.
Oh, and can I give a helpful hint? If you are going to do this, please please please don't skip the toppings! It's too good — you gotta have it!
Slow cooker peanut butter and chocolate cake recipe
Serves 12 to 14
Prep time: 20 minutes | Bake time: 2 hours 30 minutes | Total time: 2 Hours and 50 minutes
For the cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup chocolate syrup
For the topping
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- Mini chocolate candies, unwrapped and cut in half
- Coat 5 to 6-quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray and turn it to "high."
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; set the mixture aside.
- In your mixer's bowl, combine sugar and butter; beat with electric mixer for 3 minutes, or until smooth and light in color.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each one.
- Add vanilla and beat until well combined.
- Add peanut butter and chocolate syrup; continue to beat until thoroughly incorporated.
- Gradually add flour mixture to the peanut butter mixture, about 1/4-cup at a time, and beat at low speed for 1 minute or until smooth and well blended.
- Spread the cake batter evenly in slow cooker and cover.
- Bake on high for 2 hours and 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cake stand uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the topping.
- In a medium bowl, combine peanut butter and milk; whisk until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar; continue to whisk until well combined and smooth. If necessary, add additional 1 tablespoon milk until glaze is desired consistency.
- Spread the prepared glaze over cake and drizzle with chocolate syrup.
- Sprinkle chocolate candies over the top of the cake and serve.
More slow cooker recipes
Decadent slow cooker pumpkin brownies — completely worth the calories
Slow Cooker Sunday: A focaccia recipe for the amateur bread baker
Slow cooker Buffalo pulled pork — melt-in-your-mouth meat made easy