One-pot chicken and dumplings: The ultimate comfort food meal in 25 minutes
Need a super-speedy but delicious meal that’s on the table fast? This easy one-pot chicken and buttermilk biscuit dumplings recipe takes all the guesswork and stress out of dinnertime.
Fluffy buttermilk dumplings are cooked up perfectly with peas, carrots and seasonings in a vegetable broth base. I added shredded rotisserie chicken breast for an even quicker shortcut to this meal to save extra time and make this the fastest chicken and dumplings ever.
This hearty, stick-to-your-ribs dinner is perfect for the whole family, and not only is it prepared in one pot, but you can even make it ahead of time and heat it up when ready to serve.
One-pot chicken and buttermilk dumplings recipe
You can make this dish ahead of time, store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days and reheat when ready to enjoy.
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 25 minutes
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cups baking mix such as Bisquick
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup sweet green peas
- 1/2 cup canned diced carrots
- 2 rotisserie chicken breasts, shredded
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- To a large pot over medium heat, add the vegetable (or chicken) broth, and bring it to a boil.
- In a bowl, combine the baking mix, garlic powder and buttermilk. Mix well until a soft, sticky dough forms.
- Using a tablespoon, drop spoonfuls of the dough into the broth, and cook for about 10 minutes or until all the dough puffs up and begins to float.
- To the pot, add in the peas, carrots and shredded chicken. Season with salt and pepper, then cover the pot, and allow the chicken and dumplings to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Spoon into bowls, and garnish with fresh chopped parsley. Best served warm.