Chocolate and Nutella turn savory skillet biscuits into a decadent dessert
Tender and flaky chocolate chip biscuits that are covered in a dreamy Nutella honey butter icing is a finger-licking-worthy breakfast.
I like to bake biscuits in a cast-iron skillet so the sides of the biscuits stay nice and soft. Also, it gives the bottom of the biscuit a light crunch. To change up the standard biscuit just a bit, these are made with chocolate chips.
The chocolate chips add just the right amount of sweet crunch to biscuits.
But why stop there?
For chocolate on chocolate, Nutella honey butter icing is added to jazz up these yummies even more.
You could even eat these with your fingers. And finger-licking is most certainly allowed in this case.
Or you could always use a fork. Either way, you're sure to enjoy each and every bite of these dreamy skillet biscuits.
Chocolate chip biscuits with Nutella honey butter icing recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes | Bake time: 10 minutes | Total time: 25 minutes
- 2 cups flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk (for the biscuits)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup butter (chilled right out of the refrigerator, cut into small cubes)
- 2 teaspoons butter (for greasing the skillet)
- 2 teaspoons milk (for topping the biscuits)
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons Nutella
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons milk (for the icing)
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- To a large bowl, add the flour, baking powder, salt, milk, sugar and butter.
- Using a pastry blender or a large, sturdy fork, cut the butter into the flour mixture until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Add the chocolate chips, and use your hands to knead the dough.
- Onto a floured cutting board, roll out the dough until it's about 1-1/2 inches thick.
- Using a 3-inch circular biscuit or cookie cutter, cut the dough into 4 biscuits.
- Grease an 8-inch iron skillet with butter, and add the biscuits to the pan.
- Brush milk on top of the biscuits (to give them a shiny color after they bake).
- Bake until the tops of the biscuits start to turn a light golden color (about 9 to 10 minutes).
- Remove from the oven, and let cool while making the icing.
- To a medium-size bowl, add the Nutella, honey, butter and milk. Whisk together.
- Drizzle the Nutella icing on top of the biscuits, and serve while warm.