When I was growing up, my dad was obsessed with turkey legs. At Thanksgiving, he would try to run into the kitchen to make sure he could get a leg before my brothers stole them all. Well, lucky for him, you can now buy turkey legs in the store any day of the week. No more waiting until Thanksgiving.
The other great thing about buying turkey legs is that they are super cheap. They are actually cheaper than chicken and provide you with a ton of meat. How’s that for a savings?
These turkey legs are simply roasted in the oven until the skin is crispy and then slathered with sweet BBQ sauce. It’s the perfect meat lover’s meal any time of year, but it makes a perfect small-scale Thanksgiving dinner too.
Baked BBQ turkey legs recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 1-1/2 to 2 hours | Total time: 2 hours
- 4 raw turkey legs
- Kosher salt
- 1/3 cup chicken stock (more may be needed)
- BBQ sauce (use your favorite)
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees F, and line a 9 x 13-inch pan with foil.
- Place the raw turkey legs into the pan, and season the skin with kosher salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour in the chicken stock. You want it to just cover the bottom of the pan. Add more if necessary.
- Place the turkey legs in the oven, and let cook for an hour.
- Remove the turkey legs from the oven, and cover them in BBQ sauce.
- Place them back into the oven, and bake for another 30 minutes to 1 hour or until the internal temperature is 180 degrees F.
- Your final cooking time will depend on how large your turkey legs happen to be. If the BBQ sauce starts to brown too quickly, cover the turkey with foil until it reaches temperature.