Sweet potato-quinoa casserole — a healthier take on a Thanksgiving standard
Sweet potato casserole is usually full of sugar and marshmallows, but not this year. This Thanksgiving, give the old standby side dish a healthier makeover.
This filling, holiday-worthy dish is full of cooked quinoa, oven-roasted sweet potatoes, onions, fresh tomatoes and onion soup mix. The soup mix might sound like an odd ingredient, but it adds so much flavor. Try it and see for yourself — you'll be hooked.
I used blue cheese in this casserole to add salty and savory flavor, but Gorgonzola is also a great substitute, since the two are very similar in look and taste.
Sweet potato-quinoa casserole with blue cheese recipe
To save time, cook the quinoa, potatoes and onions ahead of time. Assemble and bake when ready to serve.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 50 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups uncooked quinoa
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced thin
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese, divided
- Fresh chopped parsley, for serving
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray a large casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray, and set aside.
- Spread the diced sweet potatoes and onions on the baking sheet in a single layer, and then drizzle with the olive oil. Roast for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- To a large pot, add the quinoa and vegetable broth. Bring to a rapid boil over high heat, and then reduce the heat to medium.
- Cook the quinoa for 15 minutes or until all the vegetable broth has been absorbed.
- To the quinoa, add the roasted vegetables, tomatoes, green onions, soup mix and 1/2 cup of the crumbled blue cheese. Mix well, and pour into the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of blue cheese on top, and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and garnish with fresh chopped parsley before serving.