Slow Cooker Sunday: Bourbon mashed sweet potatoes make an easy holiday side
It doesn't get much better than sweet potatoes slow-cooked in bourbon, maple syrup and butter.
Wait a minute — it does get better. Especially when the sweet potatoes are mashed and topped with super-easy, homemade candied cashews. Oh, and of course, served hot and topped with just a bit more butter.
All the flavors going on in these sweet potatoes taste so good, and the bonus is that the slow cooker does most of the work.
What a beautiful and appetizing side dish to make for the holidays. Either sweet potatoes or yams can be used for this recipe. I like to add in some yams along with the sweet potatoes to give the dish a brighter color. But no matter which ones are used, these mashed potatoes are sure to please.
Slow cooker bourbon and maple mashed sweet potatoes recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 4 hours 8 minutes | Total time: 4 hours 18 minutes
- 5 medium-size sweet potatoes (or yams), peeled and washed
- 3 tablespoons diced onion
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter (for the slow cooker)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 dashes ground black pepper
- 2 pinches cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon leftover liquid from the slow cooker
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cashews
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, for topping
- To the slow cooker, add the sweet potatoes, onion, garlic, butter, maple syrup, bourbon, salt, pepper and cinnamon.
- Stir all the ingredients, then set the slow cooker on the 4-hour setting, cover, and let cook.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat a small pan on low to medium heat, and add the cashews and brown sugar. Continuously stir until the brown sugar starts to turn sticky and covers the nuts.
- Transfer the candied cashews to waxed paper, and let cool. Set aside.
- After the sweet potatoes are done cooking, transfer them into a large bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the leftover liquid from the slow cooker and the half-and-half.
- Whisk until creamy. If the potatoes are too thick, add just a bit more half-and-half. Do a taste test to see if more salt is needed.
- Serve hot, and top with butter and candied cashews.