Let’s be honest here, the best part about Halloween is all the spooky treats! Peeled grapes for eyeballs, spaghetti for intestines — food that both horrifies and tastes delicious!
These chocolate graveyard cupcakes are easy to make, incredibly delicious and come with a spooky surprise! Coffins!
The cupcakes themselves come together in a pinch. I used individual Kit Kat Bites for the coffins, and Milano cookies for the tombstones. You can find these at your local grocery store.
First, you’ll want to start with any chocolate cake mix, or your favorite chocolate cupcake recipe. I prefer Devil’s Chocolate — very Halloween-appropriate — for a rich flavor. Bake the cupcakes as per the instructions on the box or recipe.
Make sure they cool completely before you start cutting them, or you will have a mess on your hands!
You’ll want to make two incisions in the cupcake, using the picture below as a diagram. One long, deep line to place your cookie inside to be the tombstone, and a circle that will be the hole for your coffin!
Make sure to cut the circle at an angle, so it makes a cone. You’ll want to save the “cap.”
Place the Kit Kat piece — your “coffin” — inside the hole.
Place icing on the bottom of the cap, and re-seal to hide the coffin.
Carefully wedge the tombstone cookie into the other incision you made with the knife. If it breaks the cupcake a little, it’s OK! We can hide that delicious mess with icing.
You can use any chocolate icing you like to frost the cupcake. Make sure to hide any cracks or lines. If you really want to get creative, you can use green decorating icing to make grass on the edges.
Now, the dirt for our grave. You can use crumbled cookies or an extra cupcake.
Last, but not least, our ghosts. Made from whipped cream, with chocolate chips for eyes, they are adorably spooky!
There you have it — the perfect Halloween spooky treats! They’re delicious!
And contain a spooky surprise!
Spooky graveyard cupcake recipe
Yields 12 cupcakes
- 12 Chocolate cupcakes (can be from a box or your favourite recipe)
- 1 Container chocolate icing (or your favorite recipe)
- 12 Milano cookies
- 12 Kit Kat bite pieces
- 1 cup crumbled cookie or cupcake
- 2 cups whipped cream
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
You will need a sharp knife for this recipe.
- Bake your cupcakes and allow them to cool completely.
- Using a knife, cut the cupcake as directed in the diagram above: 1 straight line at the top of the cupcake for your tombstone, and then a circle for your grave. Make sure to create a cone when you cut the circle, keeping the part you cut out.
- Carefully press a Kit Kat piece into the hole. Place some icing on the bottom of the cone you just cut out, and press it back into place to hide the coffin.
- Carefully wedge a Milano cookie into the straight line. If you break the cupcake a little, it’s okay! We can hide it with icing.
- Frost the cupcake, making sure to hide any cracks or lines. If you really want to get fancy, you can add some green icing around the edges for grass.
- Add your crumbled cookie or cupcake over the top for dirt.
- Dollop whipped cream on top to make ghosts! Carefully push two chocolate chips into each whipped cream blob for eyes.
You can find other delicious recipes like this one at http://isaynomato.com