Slow cooker sesame chicken: Sticky, sweet and ridiculously easy to make
With just minutes of prep time, you can make a sesame chicken dinner while you're out — just let the slow cooker do all the work.
And when you come home, be sure to brace yourself, because the house will smell so marvelous that you won't be able to wait to dig in. The combination of ginger and sesame gives off a distinctive aroma that makes this chicken dish irresistibly good.
The ingredients in this simple recipe are the staples of Asian cooking, and you might even already have them in your kitchen. So don't wait — this is tonight's dinner.
Slow cooker Asian sesame chicken recipe
Serve the chicken with steamed rice. Any variety of rice will do, but I find that the combination of red, black and white goes quite well with it because the nutty taste lends a tad more flavor to the dish.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 4 hours | Total time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- 4 chicken thighs
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, lemon juice and honey. Adjust the taste according to your liking. Add the sesame oil, water, ginger and the sesame seeds. Mix well.
- Place in the slow cooker with the chicken skin side down.
- Pour the sauce into the slow cooker, and coat the chicken well with it.
- Set the slow cooker on high for 4 hours.
- When the chicken is cooked, you can serve it with steamed red, black or white rice (or a combination of all three like in the picture). Mix a little bit of the sauce with the rice.