Mini chicken cobblers take a shortcut to gluten-free comfort food
Making a tasty and comforting meal gluten free is so much easier than you might think. With a few simple shortcuts, you can easily whip up these individual chicken cobblers fast without sacrificing flavor.
To make this recipe easy, I used rotisserie chicken breast, frozen peas and canned carrots for the filling. And a can of cream of mushroom soup makes a super-flavorful sauce and keeps the chicken from drying out. Another shortcut: I used a gluten-free baking mix to top the cobblers with a biscuit topping. This is a hearty, filling meal that's ready in no time and gluten-free, to boot.
Gluten-free chicken cobbler recipe
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Inactive time: 5 minutes | Total time: 50 minutes
For the filling
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, diced
- 1/2 cup frozen sweet peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup canned green beans
- 1/2 cup canned carrots, diced
- 1 cup cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup skim or low-fat milk
For the topping
- 2 cups gluten-free baking mix, such as Bisquick
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 whole egg
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F, and spray 4 individual casserole dishes with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat a small saucepot over medium heat, and add the olive oil, onions and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes or until the onions are soft.
- Add the remaining filling ingredients to the pot, and stir well.
- To a bowl, add the ingredients for the biscuit topping, and mix until a soft dough forms.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface, and cut out 4 large biscuits to top each casserole.
- Divide the filling among the casserole dishes, and top each with a gluten-free biscuit.
- Bake the casseroles uncovered for about 18 to 20 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, and let cool for 5 minutes before serving, as the filling will be very hot. Best served warm.
More gluten-free recipes
Classic tuna noodle casserole gets a gluten-free makeover with quinoa pasta
Gluten-free apple pie galette is the perfect dessert for lazy bakers
Tex-Mex tater tot casserole is gluten-free and vegetarian comfort food